Movies like High School Musical
We first counted down the best Disney Channel Original movies from the ’90s, and then ranked the ones from the early 2000s. Now it’s time to wrap up our countdown series with the top 10 DCOMs from 2006 to today.
As we explained in our early 2000s countdown, High School Musical was a game-changer. It changed not only the way Disney Channel Original Movies were made, but also how they were advertised and commodified. The post-HSM DCOMs also prominently featured Disney Channel stars, something that only a few of the previous DCOMs did. If you take a look at, you’ll notice that the large majority (read: all except two, one being High School Musical) were released in 2006 or after. That’s no coincidence.
Take one last trip down nostalgia lane with us and check out the top 10 Disney Channel Original Movies from 2006-present.
10. ‘Cow Belles’ (2006)This Disney Channel Original Movie was the first in the post-HSM era. While it wasn’t nearly as successful commercially as its predecessor, it was memorable thanks to its two stars, Aly and AJ Michalka. Even though this movie was like the Disney Channel’s take on The Simple Life (that awful reality TV show with Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie), we found it to be really relatable and humorous. We especially liked the scene where they trip and spill blueberry syrup all over themselves.
9. ‘Minutemen’ (2008)There was just something so endearing about this movie, we couldn’t help but watch it whenever it was on. Even now, on the rare occasions when we see it pop up on our TV guide, we have to watch it for a little bit. The idea of traveling through time to fix mistakes is really interesting, especially in a high school setting. Plus, the characters in this movie were so down to earth that it was impossible not to root for them.
8. ‘Hatching Pete’ (2009)This is the second movie on our list that has starred Jason Dolley. While the premise is a little dull compared to other DCOMs, we like Jason Dolley as the soft-hearted introvert who’s just waiting to break out of his shell (pun completely intended). Out of all of the Disney Channel stars in 2009, we think that Mitchel Musso was definitely the best choice of actor to play opposite of Jason Dolley. The two of them had a really great chemistry that we wish we could have seen more of, whether it was in another movie or on a Disney Channel show.
7. ‘Lemonade Mouth’ (2011)While “Lemonade Mouth” is a strange name for a band, let alone a full-length movie, it just fits so well. We love the message that this movie conveys about being confident in yourself. This Disney Channel Original Movie took on the issue of high school drama and social class in a different manner than and really made its own mark. We even remember seeing quite a few pieces of merchandise in stores and such. Way to go, Lemonade Mouth!
6. ‘Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior’ (2006)Brenda Song is the bomb. She was totally the reigning queen of the Disney Channel back in the day. It was really great to see her in the role of a strong female after witnessing her play London Tipton, the airhead with good intentions, on The Suite Life of Zack and Cody. All of the action sequences were very well done and really showed another side to Brenda’s acting talent and commitment. She was just plain awesome as Wendy Wu.
who hates those corney disney movies like high school musical etc? | Yahoo Answers
I hate those tween Disney movies. they are ridiculous. when i have kids they are not watching that crap.
What did you like about the movie high school musical?
i liked all the singing and dancing. i loved all the songs
i liked everything, the stars the backrounds the songs the dancing. nothing is wrong with it!